“The need for connection is our first and most basic instinct” - Dr Sue Johnson
The core need for love and acceptance cuts across gender. Sharing your life in a meaningful way in a stable, loving relationship is fundamental to human happiness and wellbeing.
Some couples are able to navigate the challenges of life, misunderstandings or hurts and seemingly ‘bounce back’ resolving things relatively easily. Other couples get stuck; stressors and misunderstandings evolve into a pattern of negative interactions and the couple are unable to resolve differences. This fundamentally affects how close, secure and respected you may feel in the relationship. At these times there is a need for a little help.
“Loving is a process that constantly moves from harmony to disharmony, from mutual attunement and responsiveness to misattunement and disconnection – and back again” - Dr Sue Johnson
Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples an effective approach
All therapists at landscape of life have completed accredited training and are certified in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples. Our Melbourne based practice specialises in this approach, grounded in attachment theory and the science of adult relationships. Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples provides a map and we as therapists facilitate a process to help you:
- Develop a shared understanding of the difficult patterns and emotional distance that has emerged within your couple relationship
- De-escalate conflict
- Create new interactions in which you and your partner are able to clearly express your needs and be responsive to each other
- Manage relationship stressors more effectively
- Develop a greater sense of calm.
- Understand how to create healthy communication
- Reduce feelings of loneliness and distress
- Re-discover intimacy and sexuality
- Rescue a relationship after infidelity, or an affair
- Understand and experience how to build a secure bond with a relationship partner.
Whether you are in a long-standing relationship, are newly committed, feel really satisfied or quite disheartened couple counselling can be useful. By helping you go deeper into understanding yourself, your partner and the dynamics of your couple relationship, you can find lasting solutions, to ensure your relationship is strong, no matter what life brings your way now or in the future.
All married couples experience good times and bad together. It may be difficult to understand how your relationship has evolved over time. Couple counselling can be helpful for married couples when you notice a fundamental shift in how close, secure and respected you may feel in the relationship.
“Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.” – Ursual K. Le Guin
The interconnected nature of life means building healthy relationship is vital. While relationships connect us and can be enriching they also have the potential to present challenges. As such, relationship counselling is for relationships in all their diverse aspects for couples, individuals or leaders.
Pre-marriage Couple Counselling Intensives
Prepare for marriage, and what you need for your relationship to last, not just your wedding day. A pre-marriage couple counselling intensive, enables you to spend a day together, before you get married so you have the opportunity to dive deep, better understand yourself, your partner and your relationship.
“A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
The focus is on understanding your coping styles, pattern of interaction that might create disconnection in the relationship, deeper needs and vulnerabilities, that need to be cared for as you navigate the challenges and transitions you will face as you move into married life.
Discernment counselling Intensives
Whether you are in a long-standing relationship or are newly committed, being uncertain about a relationship can be difficult. Discernment counselling can be helpful if one or both partners are uncertain or ambivalent about the relationship.
Discernment counselling provides a structured framework, to develop:
- greater clarity and confidence in decision making about your commitment to a relationship and opportunity for healing and repair.
- a more complex understanding of yourself, your partner and the dynamics of your relationship that is fuelling disconnection. If you choose to move on you can still take this with you.
- the ability to step back and see the whole picture, you’ll then have more information to explore the possibility of repairing the relationship together or finding a new partner.
Get in touch
If you wish to schedule an appointment, are curious to know more about workshops, coaching or retreats, then please get in touch. We will get back to you as soon as possible.