Discernment is the ability to obtain sharp perceptions or to judge well
Whether you are in a long-standing relationship or are newly committed, being uncertain about a relationship can be difficult. It may be hard to understand how your relationship has evolved over time. You may have noticed yourself thinking:
- I have been treated so badly
- We are just too different
- I no longer feel like myself
- I am just not ‘in love’ with them
- We met so young and are different now
- I don’t even like them
- I just want someone who understands me
- I have been betrayed
- I want a soul mate
- I have stayed for the children
- I want a fresh start with someone new
- I don’t know if I can trust them again
Who is discernment counselling for?
Discernment counselling can be helpful if one or both partners are uncertain or ambivalent about the relationship. Discernment counselling is focused on developing greater clarity and confidence in decision making about commitment to the relationship and opportunity for healing and repair.
Discernment counselling has a structured framework. Couples are guided, individually and together, through a process to systematically explore 3 paths:
- Stay in the relationship as it has been
- Move towards ending the relationship
- End discussions about separation/divorce and any other competing temptations, commit to a 6-month reconciliation period focused on Stage 1 of Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, then make a decision about the longer-term future of the relationship.
The focus of Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy in this context is to develop a more complex understanding of yourself, your partner and the dynamics or dance of your relationship. Being able to step back and see the whole picture, you’ll then have more information to explore the possibility of learning new dance steps together or finding a new partner.
Either way, you will both have greater insight and wisdom into yourself and how you contribute to the dance of your relationship. If you choose to move on you can still take this with you.
Discernment Counselling sessions
Discernment Counselling sessions with Jo Gniel (held either in-person or via Skype) are usually conducted weekly or fortnightly. Intensives are also available. You are welcome to choose intervals that suit your personal needs. If your counselling sessions are in-person, you will be meeting Jo
|@The Health and Wellbeing Studio|
|1160 Toorak Road|
Discernment counselling fees
Counselling consultation fees (single session) are as follows:
- Counselling consultation (business hours) - $160/hour
- Counselling consultation (after hours) - $180/hour
Initial counselling consultations:
- Individuals - 1 hour
- Couples - 1.5 hour
- Couples in crisis - 2 hours
Intensives are also available for couples that do not live in Melbourne or would prefer a focused approach to deciding the future of their relationship.
- Fees are available upon request
Still not sure if you are ready for discernment counselling?
Book a complimentary 15 minute chat with our counsellor Jo Gniel or join our mailing list to receive relationship tips and event news from landscape of life.